Leading the fight against climate change: The Climate Group
Issue 7 | August 01, 2020
As per the latest report of the United Nations on climate change, the greenhouse gas concentration has increased at an alarmingly high level in 2020, the highest in 3 million years. This year has also seen tremendous rise in floods, storms, earthquakes and wildfires. As scary as it sounds, climate change is for real. Antonio Guterres, the UN Secretary-General refers to the change as "Climate crisis is the defining threat of our time"
A large number of organizations, both on the global and local levels are taking steps to bring the exponential rate of climate change under control and to curb its effects on the Earth and the entire mankind. Nations are focusing on sustainable development goals to combat climate change and protect the planet.
One such organization taking intensive steps for climate change is the 'Climate Group'. Established in 2004, the Climate Group is an international non-profit organization with its offices in London, New Delhi and New York. With a mission to drive action for climate change, its goal is to reduce carbon emissions in the world to net zero by the year 2050.
The Climate Group has collaborated with large networks to ensure that each organization does its bit to protect the climate. With an immediate-action mindset, the Climate Group convinces and helps organizations to commit to taking all the steps and precautions necessary for combating climate change issues. Through its Re100 project, the climate group brings together large companies by convincing them to use renewable power sources.
Its Under2 Coalition project is dedicated to bring together state and regional governments to take steps in accordance with the Paris Agreement for climate change. The Climate Group provides technical support and resources to the government for their emission reduction plans.
Lights emit a significant amount of carbon dioxide. Switching to LEDs could prevent 1,400 million tons of carbon dioxide emission. LED Scale-up project is another great initiative by the Climate Group that is working towards adoption of LED street lights in cities.
The Climate Group has a chain of powerful networks across the globe comprising businesses and governments of several nations. They believe in collective actions by people with the same ambitions and one common goal, prevention of climate change. This group proudly boasts of its achievements and inspires people to join the battle against climate change.
The initiatives taken by Climate Group and the changes brought by them to render prosperity for the world instils a ray of home in the people, especially, young generations. It tells us that even though climate change is a serious threat to the existence of mankind, we can still fight it together.
● To contribute to clean energy, transport and manufacturing, Apple has announced that by the year 2030, it will bring its entire carbon footprint to net zero.
● There are 197 signatories to the Paris Agreement out of which, 187 countries have ratified the treaty. These countries account for over 97% of the global greenhouse gas emission.
● The Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Asia's largest solar power in Rewa. This makes India top 5 nations in the world in terms of solar energy.
● On July 4, the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, the Prime Minister inaugurated Gandhi Solar Park at the UN headquarters. It comprises 193 solar panels, each representing a member nation of the UN.
● Barclays, a multinational investment bank that has its headquarters in London has approved an investment plan to reduce carbon emissions to net zero by 2050.